Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hockey Mom becomes a Figure Skating Mom too.

Kirsten has finally gotten brave enough to speak up to Dad about skating. She really doesn't want to play hockey, she wants to figure skate. Ugh. I wish she'd been brave enough to stand up about it before we bought her almost a full set of hockey equipment. So now we're in buying figure skates mode. None of the shops around here sell figure skates. Girlfriend needs to be professionally fitted - her feet are on the wide side - but the closest place that does that is at the Detroit Skating Club. And it's by appointment only. Double ugh. I'm just not so good with appointments. I balk at making appointments to get hair cuts or go to the dentist. I really don't like making an appointment to go spend $150 on a 5 year old's figure skates.

Another thing...what is it with Figure Skate Moms and track suits? I refuse to wear pants with a word written on my ass. These moms don't really wear them to exercise, so I just don't get it. I'll be the one in the  rink with jeans and a heavy sweatshirt, MAYBE with makeup on. I don't know how well I'm going to fit in with these moms. I'm prone to yelling to suck it up and skate...actually I did that today when Kirsten fell and the coach gave her a HUG. Really? A HUG? If you don't need to go to the hospital, suck it up and skate! My children know there is no crying on the ice unless you need to go the hospital. This is a bad trend, this hugging on the ice.

Powerskate summer is over. Draft skate for Squirts is Monday, Kirsten is signed up for learn to skate on Tuesdays, skill practice for both on Saturdays. Husband has hockey every other night of the week. Here we, go! Let the season of the rink begin!!!